Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Hey guys!

I noticed recently that the leaves on my Golden Wonders have started turning brown and crispy.  They finished flowering 2-3 weeks ago.  I did a quick web search and in a moment of panic, cut of all the haulms, thinking it was blight or some other disease.  This usually happens with my potatoes, a few weeks after flowering and they die.

I attached a photo onto this post, plants were laying in a heap in my lawn so I don’t know how useful it is, but if anyone has any thoughts I’d love to know.  Hopefully I panicked and nothing’s wrong???  They went in early/mid april, so it does seem early.

But now I have a huge open space of garden that I wasn’t planning to have.  Any thoughts on what I can put in?  Our climate here is pretty much the same as what we had in Surrey.  In fact, my friends in London tell me that they get the same weather as I, just 2 days later…...

If those aren’t diseased, I’d love to do a second crop of potatoes.  For the time being though, I’m going to do lettuce, and kale.  Hope the slugs don’t get them though…..bloody slugs, but would love some other ideas.  Too late for cukes?  I can probably get them already started (non-organic though :( ).

TIA!

Potatoes_July9_2015.jpg

SAHM to DS- 10/08 and DD 11/10

My mum has blight problems in her garden, it’s a pain but you can still eat the potatoes.  As blight is a fungus that spreads I would dispose of the leaves rather than leaving them in your garden as it will spread.  You will continue to get blight in that patch now as the fungus will be in the soil so if you have room plant pototoes somewhere else or leave it dormant for a year and you may find it goes away!  Don’t plant tomatoes in that patch as they can get blight too.

I wouldn’t have thought you were too late to plant bought courgette plants if your weather is similar to Surrey, UK.  I am way up North in England and my courgette plants have yet to fruit and are growing slowly, they usually don’t fruit until about now and I reckon the South has a good month on me during the growing season.  I would give it a go!

Its definitely late blight. Don’t worry, they’re bagged and tagged- I can’t burn them, so I’m hoping that spending a few days in our current nice hot weather in plastic bags will do the trick before I send them to the tip (which, with luck WILL actually burn them).  I quickly photographed before wrapping them up.  I’d love to burn them on top of their soil, to hopefully killing any spores there, but sadly, that’s a no-no….

FWIW, all my french friends are saying “Duh- Bouillie Bordelaise” (which I’ve seen at the garden store), you start spraying once the shoots appear, and I think every two weeks or so thereafter.  There is NOTHING about this in all my English-language organic gardening books.  Its a mix of copper sulfate and chalk, and acceptable under the European Organic gardening standards.  It comes as a blue powder.  Works for blight and apparently several other airborne problems, bacterial and fungal.  Getting some for next year.

Courgettes are a great idea!  And the patch is plenty big for that.  I might try starting some parsnips too, with our mild winters they might be quite happy.

SAHM to DS- 10/08 and DD 11/10

Share this with friends

Recent Posts