Issue 91 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

hello,
I’ve been thinking more and more that my DS, age 9, could be dyslexic. any advice at all? I’m looking around to see if I can have him assessed/ diagnosed, any things that you have tried that have helped your child?
He’s home ed and has no plans for going back to school.
Thanks
Gill
x

I don’t have any experience of this sorry Gill, but a number of our home ed friends have been assessed for dyslexia, so you are entitled to it, maybe ask education otherwise to begin with? I hope you find everything you need xx

Hello you
I am dyslexic , I was diagnosed when I went to uni and because of diagnosis I received some extra help . I suspect some of my kids might be dyslexic . However I don’t get them diagnosed , it will be something they choose if they want to in the future . However that doesn’t mean you can’t try things to help . I find reading off white paper really hard I prefer to read off blue paper . I prefer people to read me important information , spell check is a life saver
But I love with it , some days it’s worse than others definatley worse when I am tired .

when life gives you a rainy day play in the puddles !!!
mum to 4 sons 13,7,4 and 2
a daughter 8 years ,
and always in my heart my angel xx

Thanks for the replies,
We are experimenting with coloured papers and coloured films to see if they help; and have found there is a “dyslexia action” Center in our local city so heading down there soon for a free consultation to see if an assessment would be of any use or if they can work out tactics for teaching him more effectively,
DS is feeling really positive, knowing that there might be a reason that he is finding some things so hard and gets so exhausted when he does a big chunk of work. He’s also very happy that there are loads of computer programmes avaliable which he thinks means unlimited screen time!
Gill
x

Share this with friends

Recent Posts