Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

I am a visual learner, as are my dh and ds, but my dd is most definitely not.  At the moment I cannot work out if she is an auditory learner or a kinaesthetic learner or a mix of both.  I am also totally feeling my way with techniques to help her learn confused and not always getting this quite right.

I know there is the obvious of reading to them all the time and doing things to aid their learning but some times she wants to do things on her own and she is not reading yet.

..........so….........I am on the look out for ideas, resources etc…..........

how old is she and what is it you want to achieve? Are you home edding?

I help your customers find you on Google. Website design | SEO | Social Media | PR | Author

“Internet marketing solutions that transform your online business”: http://gloucestershirewebdesigns.co.uk/

Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Raestrauss

Find me on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rachellestrauss

LETS member 35

Audio books are a big hit in this house, we have just signed up for audible with a free month’s trial. I think with the likes of Horrible Histories/science etc there are some good non-fiction choices these days too. Recording herself into a dictaphone? Websites with audio content? HTH xx

Just to add, whilst I think we all have an over arching preference, for some people I think it does change, depending on what the situation is, so I would say don’t worry if it does chop and change for her. I think it sounds like you’re doing an amazing job of giving her the awareness of the different styles of learning, and if you treat it all as an experiment, offering different ways of approaching the same topic (book/dvd/audiobook/website etc) and ask her to reflect on which was the most helpful, then you can pick up the clues as you go along, and the choice is hers, instead of feeling you may have got it ‘wrong.’ xx

Thank you both.  We are home edding.  She is currently six, still very young smile

I have really noticed it with numbers.  I know that our words for numbers between 11 and 19 are really peculiar and illogical but she is really struggling to commit those words to her memory.  She understands place value and knows that 12 is 10 and 2 etc but it feels to me that the words are mystery each time we look at them, which in many ways they are! 

I know that we all learn at completely different rates and I never compare her to her older brother who is nearly 11.  But what she has learnt to do this far is so different from him that I need a totally different approach with her.

What do I want achieve?  I guess l want to be better at adapting.  If one method is not working I want the tools to be able to change what I am doing to so that it does, at the moment I am not sure I am achieving that.

Would something like number songs help her in this instance? I’m sure there are youtube videos or I have seen things like multiplication songs on cd, so there must be counting ones x

Songs are great!  Had not thought of looking on You Tube!  tongue rolleye Thank you smile

Super - hope it helps x

Have you come across Barefoot Books on Youtube, they’re fab. The books are brought to life with animation and the words are sung, appearing at the bottom of the screen, karaoke style. My DS’s favourites are: Space Song Rocket Ride…Up, Up, up!...Magic Train Ride…Hole in the Bottom of the Sea…Knick Knack Paddy Whack and The Journey Home from Grandpa’s.

I think we are all a mixture of learning styles, but obviously have stronger and weaker areas. I just try to approach everything using as many senses as possible, so a session on numbers might include a number story, a song, a movement type exercise (for example with DS we incorporate lots of throwing and catching balls whilst learning number facts!), also touch - maybe making numbers from clay, we use a lot of manipulatives etc Its all a bit trial and error! My DD is strongly visual but she is also lucky that she can learn in a very auditory way too AND she loves hands on stuff. I found audio-books were great for her before she could read. My son is quite weak in both auditory and visual learning and so I try to use a very hands on approach for him & get him moving about a lot whilst we learn. I think if you approach from all angles you can’t go too far wrong! Try lots of things and get her feedback.

To dare is to lose ones footing temporarily, to not dare is to lose oneself.

LETS number 137

https://wildheartseducation.wordpress.com/

Share this with friends

Recent Posts