Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Very easy Indian side dishes for a birthday tea.
My DS#2 Loves curry and would like that for his birthday but I need a few easy child friendly side dish ideas .................... please xx

Home Eding Mama of 2 gorgeous boys! Trying to live magically on this wild and crazy earth.

You can do easy oven-baked samosas—you make a potato-and-pea filling (as mild or as spicy as he likes it), then use shop-bought puff pastry, cut into squares, fold into trianges, crimp edges and bake according to pastry directions. It’s always a huge hit at our parties even with non-spice-eating French children!

Other ideaas:

*pinwheels: take flatbread, spread with mildly spiced yoghurt (just plain Greek yoghurt with salt, cumin, coriander), thin slices of cucumber, and whatever else you please (if you eat meat, thin slices of Tandoori chicken are nice). Then roll up and cut into sections, and secure with toothpicks;

*pappadums (either deep-fried or done in the microwave if you have one) served with chutneys;

*Pav Bhaji: soft rolls toasted and buttered, then served with (or filled with) a thick potato-and-onion curry (again, you can make it mild)—I’d do either this or the samosas, not both, as they are quite similar

*If you have access to an Indian shop, things like Bombay mix or murukku (crunchy spirals made of chickpea flour) are GREAT favourites of my children

*You can do different lassis for beverage options (mango, berry with frozen berries, banana)

*Indian pizza (Google this and you will find lots of recipes! The easiest one is to use shop-bought naan, spread with spiced tomato sauce or tomato chutney, top with whatever you like! (Paneer if you have it; otherwise any cheese, curried chicken if you eat meat, sweet peppers, anything, really, let your imagination run wild!)

Preets this is fantastic thanks so much. Will let you know how I get on x

Home Eding Mama of 2 gorgeous boys! Trying to live magically on this wild and crazy earth.

Share this with friends

Recent Posts