Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Well I don’t know how I’ve managed it but for the past six or seven years I’ve been gardening without a greenhouse! Now that life has changed and I have more time to dedicate to the garden and veg plot, I now realise that the time has come for a purchase and DH agrees cheese All very exciting!  But… where to begin? There is so much conflicting advice. So I’m asking the wise people of the forum for your thoughts smile

I need to know your thoughts on the following:

Pros and cons of:

buying second hand? / size? / wood or aluminium? / glass or plastic windows? / cost?

Also any companies/makes to avoid, or who have impressed you, and advice about how to keep greenhouses stable and safe in high winds (we are on a valley side and it can get a bit blustery at times).

Thank you lovely people smile

Trying to do everything - failing madly!

Being constantly & lovingly educated by daughter Freya, 19 cheese

We live in a really windy place.  When we moved to our house there was a greenhouse in a neighbours garden that had lost all its glass, when we spoke to the neighbour she said that she has stopped replacing the glass as it all blew out in the winter months each year!  So we went for a polytunnel instead!  We installed it twelve years ago and wouldn’t be without it now wink

I dismissed a polytunnel as I didn’t think it would be stable enough! How do you keep it weighted down?

We use a greenhouse with plastic windows, it has proved to be a safer option for us with the kids constantly falling against it, the glass would have been shattered so many times.  As it is there is a lot of gaffer tape holding the plastic in place, but at least it’s repairable!!

Mamma to Hannah, age 8 and Jonas, 2

etsy: etsy.com/uk/shop/lazidayz
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lazidayzhandmade

crystalmummy - 15 May 2016 02:10 AM

I dismissed a polytunnel as I didn’t think it would be stable enough! How do you keep it weighted down?

You have to dig the plastic covering in, by digging a deep trench all the way round it and pulling the covering into the trench and refilling the trench with the soil to hold it in place.  It is incredibly stable even in really high winds, we often get 60mph winds in the winter months.

sustainablemum - 15 May 2016 06:50 PM
crystalmummy - 15 May 2016 02:10 AM

You have to dig the plastic covering in, by digging a deep trench all the way round it and pulling the covering into the trench and refilling the trench with the soil to hold it in place.  It is incredibly stable even in really high winds, we often get 60mph winds in the winter months.

Not sure that would work for us which is a shame - the space we have is on hardstanding downer

Share this with friends

Recent Posts