Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Staying with the wild theme…......we have just received our latest RSPB magazines with info about their Big Wild Sleepout which we thought sounded fun.  I think it has been running a while so you guys may have been doing it for years wink.

Anyway, we are going to try and join in this year, you can register for a ‘pack’ from 15 June via the link above.  It also looks like there are events running across the country if you want to join them rather than doing it by yourselves.

It’s over the weekend 29 - 31 July.

We have done this with our local Wildlife Trust group for the last 3 years, two of those were clear dry nights so we all slept on tarpaulins in the open by the lake- beautiful.
Hope you find a group near you, or out in the garden can be just as magical
Gill
x

I’ve never camped wild before! The local RSPB have been doing this for the last few years, but it’s so expensive, I think it worked out about £60 for the three of us to camp in the reserve for 1 night. I’m sure its lovely, but not something I’d pay that much for.

Would quite like to camp wild just with friends or something, but not sure about digging a hole in the ground .... red face !!

dandelion-and-daisy - 10 June 2016 12:19 PM

I’ve never camped wild before! The local RSPB have been doing this for the last few years, but it’s so expensive, I think it worked out about £60 for the three of us to camp in the reserve for 1 night. I’m sure its lovely, but not something I’d pay that much for.

Would quite like to camp wild just with friends or something, but not sure about digging a hole in the ground .... red face !!

Such a shame they charge for it, our local one is free for members.
For sleeping under a hedge/ in a hole, well worth getting a cheap army surplus bivvy bag, we used them when I helped with the army cadets and they are brilliant
Gill
x

dandelion-and-daisy - 10 June 2016 12:19 PM

Wild camping is a wonderful experience.  We have done it a lot.  We have taken the children from a young age wink.  There are rules about wild camping in England and Wales that you must follow.  In theory you are meant to get permission from the landowner but in most places it is tolerated provided you leave no trace and are not doing it in a layby next to the car.  In Scotland the rules are completely different although they are often openly flouted, you are not supposed to camp next to your car there either but people openly do.

What it means is that you will need to get to where you are going to camp under your own steam by walking, cycling or canoeing for example, for me this is what makes it so special.  You have to carry everything you need and you go on a journey to get there which takes you away from everything and leaves you just with the open countryside.

And digging a hole? Practice it when you go out for walks that way when you need to do it you won’t be panicking!

emilys mum - 09 June 2016 11:19 PM

We have done this with our local Wildlife Trust group for the last 3 years, two of those were clear dry nights so we all slept on tarpaulins in the open by the lake- beautiful.
Hope you find a group near you, or out in the garden can be just as magical
Gill
x

That sounds wonderful!  I might look to see if there is anything near me….......

It’s making me cringe just thinking of it - it’s not the digging the hole per se that puts me off but doing the business in it red face !!!

You make it sound so wonderful sustainablemum….really though I’m a bit of a control freak I think and can feel my anxiety levels rise thinking about it….though its probably exactly what I need to get over that. How do you find places to go - are they places you have spotted while out walking etc?

I know that wild camping is not for everyone for that very reason.  So I am guessing that there is something buried deep related to those anxieties, I would say that if it is going to make you anxious don’t go.  Given the commitment you need to make to get there it would be awful if you couldn’t then relax and were desperate to go home.  That said it could be that being in a beautiful place makes all those anxieties dissapear!

Where would I go?  Sometimes we go to places to known to us, but if we are looking at somewhere new to us we would look on a map. Do you ever use the 1:25 000 OS Map like this one.  We look for access land (which is marked on the map) on open fell i.e not fenced in, near to a water source (streams are best) that is not too boggy and gives a bit of shelter if needed.  And yes sometimes they are places we have walked past before wink

I have been reading all about wild toileting!! And we’ve been talking lots about getting wilder, and although we’re not ready for that yet we are going to start having wilder days out, parking the car and trekking on foot somewhere and setting up a day camp….will let you know how we get on wink

dandelion-and-daisy - 16 June 2016 12:50 AM

I have been reading all about wild toileting!! And we’ve been talking lots about getting wilder, and although we’re not ready for that yet we are going to start having wilder days out, parking the car and trekking on foot somewhere and setting up a day camp….will let you know how we get on wink

That sounds perfect!  Cooking and eating your evening meal outside is a wonderful thing to do in the ‘wild’ and something we do more often than wild camping.  It’s a great starting point before plunging in to do a whole night!

Share this with friends

Recent Posts