Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

I have set myself challenge of reading a book a week over the summer. Last night I sat up until 2am as couldn’t put down ‘When God was a Rabbit’ was very good. Prior to that I read ‘The Grace Keepers’ which was a good escape from currently troubled word and now I am reading (despite not being sure I wanted to) ‘Go Set a Watchman’. Normally I read a lot of nature writing and there are some ones that I am very eager to get my hands on particularly ‘If woman Rose Rooted’ by Shaton Blackie but if I am attracted to a book at the library I will go with it. So what is everyone else reading over the summer and any recommendations? ???? x

“We are all molded and remolded by those who have loved us and, though that love may pass, we remain, none the less, their work. No love, no friendship can ever cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark upon it forever.” Francois Mauriac, French novelist (1885-1970)

Claire, Mummy to Eilidh (10) and Andrew (7)

http://writingaboutnature.blogspot.com

Im mostly reading books on psychotherapy and psychology but I wont list those!

Im currently about half way through a book called ‘the glass bead game’. Not an easy read at all but im enjoying it. I finished last week a book called ‘bloody chamber’ by angela carter, easy to read, love angela carters style of writing. I have a book on lone motherhood from a feminist perspective that I have lined up to read soon and also a book by oliver sachs called ‘an anthropologist on mars’.

I never watch tv and seldom use the internet so I try to squeeze in reading when I can…mostly on the bus on my way to and from work!

Oh I love your idea mummymilne! I’ve struggled to get into anything these last few weeks, but I’m currently reading Meadowland: the private life of an english field. It’s a gentle, simple read for getting me through this phase!

I cant bring myself to read Go Set a Watchman in case it spoils *everything!*

I’m going to join in and attempt to read a book a week too, though already with trepidation as to how successful I will be!

D and D - ditto totally re.Harper Lee book…the English teacher in me has internal; conflict over whether to read it or not.  Though i had the same over JK Rowling ‘Casual Vacancy’ and it was fantastic!

Highly recommend Swan Thieves and The Historian by ...Elizabeth Casova (sp?) and of course The Last Kingdom set unless you wnat to sleep too over the summer and not read untik your eyes are actually screaming for mercy!!

Also Ken Follett World Without End and {Pillars of the Earth and his trilogy spanning 100 years from pre WW1-2000 is brilliant

I’ve picked up Ken Follett so many times in charity shops and the library, but it just seems so heavy (the book itself if not the content), I’ve never got myself motivated enough to plough through one! Are they as heavy going as they appear greeneve? Similarly, I’ve not read ‘Casual Vacancy’ either, and I saw a trailer for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them (the film) and reeled in horror, some things should perhaps just be left alone!

Disappointingly went to the library today ready to sign up to the summer reading challenge and it;s not even started here yet mad We had a lovely cosy time as it was pouring with rain and got some great books nontheless. I’m not sure who is looking forward to it most :-p xx

Sounds like some good reads there, might borrow a few ideas. Did my fair share of psychology reading Gem when I was doing my degree but still like a wee dip into them now and again. ????  D and D, sorry for you getting excited about Reading challenge before it had started with yourself. We were just there today and I got out ‘The Cauliflower’by Nicola Barker and ‘Seacrow Island’by Astrid Lindgren as I know it’s children book but wanted to see how compared to ‘Pippi Longstocking’ ! If you enjoying ’ Meadowland’ ‘Common Ground’ by Rob Cowan is also a lovely read. So far I am glad I am reading ‘Go Set A Watchmen’ but hard to accept some things that are happening in it. I was also very unsure about reading it due to controversy round it. Happy reading everyone ???? x

“We are all molded and remolded by those who have loved us and, though that love may pass, we remain, none the less, their work. No love, no friendship can ever cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark upon it forever.” Francois Mauriac, French novelist (1885-1970)

dandelion-and-daisy - 12 July 2016 12:28 AM

I’ve picked up Ken Follett so many times in charity shops and the library, but it just seems so heavy (the book itself if not the content), I’ve never got myself motivated enough to plough through one! Are they as heavy going as they appear greeneve? Similarly, I’ve not read ‘Casual Vacancy’ either, and I saw a trailer for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them (the film) and reeled in horror, some things should perhaps just be left alone!

Disappointingly went to the library today ready to sign up to the summer reading challenge and it;s not even started here yet mad We had a lovely cosy time as it was pouring with rain and got some great books nontheless. I’m not sure who is looking forward to it most :-p xx

Not getting notifications so just seen this. 

You absolutely *must* pick up Ken Follett - start with ‘Fall of Giants’ I utterly implore you to try it and promise you sleepless nights and watery eyes wink  They are heavy to carry home but the content is really not mentally challenging but historically accurate..the stories he weaves are totally gripping but not hard to retain even with huge character casts…trust me!!

Casual Vacancy…once I got beyond thinking about Ron and Herminone I was gripped…took two attempts though.  Was a bit of a leap from lovely Hogwarts to the graphic and harrowing context of C.V.
DD is currently refusing to go and see Fantastic Beasts!

lol re. the summer reading…that gets us every year…we are always asking to do it early !!!

mummymilne - 10 July 2016 10:37 PM

I have set myself challenge of reading a book a week over the summer. Last night I sat up until 2am as couldn’t put down ‘When God was a Rabbit’ was very good. Prior to that I read ‘The Grace Keepers’ which was a good escape from currently troubled word and now I am reading (despite not being sure I wanted to) ‘Go Set a Watchman’. Normally I read a lot of nature writing and there are some ones that I am very eager to get my hands on particularly ‘If woman Rose Rooted’ by Shaton Blackie but if I am attracted to a book at the library I will go with it. So what is everyone else reading over the summer and any recommendations? ???? x

I just read ‘When God was a Rabbit’ too…was hooked for first half..like in a ‘the world could collapse around me but I am not stopping’ gripped, but then I kind of got a bit…hmmmm…with it.  Finished it but was left a bit unsure really…

I’ve just finished The Last Days of Rabbit Heyes, which isn’t normally my thing but it drew me from the library shelf. I’m now reading Our Endless Numbered Days, only a few pages in though so the verdict is still out. I am intrigued by When God Was a Rabbit, will have to get my hands on a copy!

dandelion-and-daisy - 24 July 2016 11:21 PM

I’ve just finished The Last Days of Rabbit Heyes, which isn’t normally my thing but it drew me from the library shelf. I’m now reading Our Endless Numbered Days, only a few pages in though so the verdict is still out. I am intrigued by When God Was a Rabbit, will have to get my hands on a copy!

I’ve just lent it to another English teacher friend to see what she makes of it…will post it on when I get it back if you don’t get to it first!  They seem pretty prevalent in charity shop ‘3 for £1’ bit around here…

I did feel the first part of ‘When God Was a Rabbit’ was better than the second but I liked the relationship between brother and sister. Did feel ending was bit too easy if that makes sense without saying too much and spoiling it. ‘The last days of Rabbit Hayes’ sounds like it would cause a lot of tears, lost my pony just over a week ago and although I gave cried a lot I still feel a lump there so maybe reading this book would be the release I need. X

Aw thank you greeneve, I’ve got it on order from the library though. Funnily enough I’ve just picked up ‘A Year of Marvellous Ways’ and realised once I got it home that’s it’s written by the same author.

I have just finished ‘Our endless Numbered Days’ (I snuck out from a sleeping ds to devour the last few chapters this morning!). It took me a few chapters to get into it, but I highly recommend it. It might just make it onto my favourites list.

I also picked up Eat, Pray,Love - one of my fave films! And The Lady and the Unicorn, so I think that’s my summer reading list complete grin

Share this with friends

Recent Posts