Issue 91 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Do you have anything growing in your garden over winter?

I always grow garlic over the winter.  I will be planting it before the end of this month, I hope!  I often have leeks overwintering as they take two years to get to maturity where I live!  In the polytunnel I sow winter lettuce which survives until we get heavy frosts and often have salad leaf plants that survive from the summer until it gets really cold.  Other than that nothing else, our winters are too harsh for anything else to survive.

Great idea, I’ll get some Garlic in, that’ll make me feel a bit better about my bare beds :-D

Garlic, leeks, kale, chard and perpetual spinach.  Apparently you can grow peas and beans over winter for an early spring crop but I don’t think they would survive up here!

Mamma to Hannah, age 8 and Jonas, 2

etsy: etsy.com/uk/shop/lazidayz
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lazidayzhandmade

Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Kale, savoy cabbage and Sprouts

I use fleece in really cold weather. I pile plenty of leaf cover around my spinach, chard and kale and we have greens all through the winter. I’ve put some black cabbage (cavalo nero?) in this year too!

Garlis, Sprouts, and this year I’m trying out parsnips so I’m looking forward to seeing how they turn out, and also been thinking about trying leeks too smile

Share this with friends

Recent Posts