Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parent's, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Hi, does anyone know any good resources to help explain ghastly events in the world to children. As mine are 11 and 8 I can no longer shield them (much as I would like to!) from hearing about awful things like the Grenfell Tower and the recent terrorist attacks in London. 

Thanks, Imogen 

Hi Imogen,

Such a tricky one! We are all desperate to shield our children from the horrors of the adult world, but they collide with it more and more as they grow. I recently read this blog post with a list of books about human rights and social justice and I thought it would come in handy when the time comes that I’ll need to broach these topics. Not sure that it’s completely what you’re looking for but hopefully you’ll find it useful… http://www.niahouse.org/blog-fulton/2016/11/3/40-childrens-books-about-human-rights-social-justice
Good luck! xx

Writer for WeTheParents.org

Hi Laurel,

Thank you so much for your reply. The list of books looks brilliant and I will definitely explore that in more detail, what a great resource. I think the Montessori quote at the beginning sums it up well and I need to remember that my job is not to primarily shield the children (which is impossible as they grow and as you say collide with these things anyway!) but to equip and prepare them.

Thanks again and hope you have a sunny day!

Imogen x

Hi Imogen, a little more tangential, but there’s a great piece on the site about how, in a wider sense, you and your kids can deal with relentlessly bad global news. It’s here

It’s also becoming a bit of a cliche, but this Fred Rogers quote has guided me in the past… 

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping. To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers — so many caring people in this world.” — Fred Rogers

Most of the news makes me feel overwhelmed so I know that it would overwhelm my children (8 and 12).  I wonder how are your children exposed to it?  I used to listen to the radio a lot until I realised that they were picking up on it so I so I stopped turning it on for the news or anything with content that I thought might be too much for them, that was several years ago now.  We don’t have a tv and they don’t have mobiles.  I get all my news through reading online and when appropriate I share it with my eldest who has recently become interested in politics.  I know that as a home educator who lives in a quiet rural backwater it is easy for me, but I really feel that children are not able to process the terrible events that occur in the world on a daily basis until they are well into secondary school age.

Share this with friends