Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

We have a rat who’s been visiting our decking (completely our fault as we had been feeding a visiting squirrel) but since spotting the rat we’ve stopped putting any food or for squirrels or birds. I’m so sad about that as our house backs on to woods and we have an abundance of birds in our garden. But obviously we can’t not deter the rat. Any humane tried and trusted ways deter him? Thankfully it’s so cold so no one’s out there at the moment but I want him gone asap. Apart from stopping the bird feeding, what else might deter him/her? Thanks.

I’ve just had some rats chew through two compost bins and they are driving me nuts. I can’t (and don’t) want to use poison because I’ve got chickens so the only way is to prevent them from getting at the food/compost. Have you tried putting the food up high somewhere, I think squirrels are cleverer than rats so maybe run a piece of string across the garden and hang a feeder from the middle of it? You’l then have even more fun watching the squirrels as they climb along the string mission impossible style!

We’ve moved the fat balls to the pear tree further down the garden and away from the decking. I think once they’ve been eaten I’ll not put any out for a while until the rats have moved on. My husband is going to scrub down the decking tomorrow to get rid of any scent of nuts and see how that goes. I have no problem of any wildlife in my garden (love it actually) but I know rats can spread disease so they’re not ones I want on our decking where our 5yr old plays in the warmer months. Shame though as he/she is quite cute! x

I don’t really think you can do a lot humanely unless you catch it in a rat cage and then relocate it but no doubt it will return to where it knows it is warm and can eat easily - good luck !! x

Home Eding Mama of 2 gorgeous boys! Trying to live magically on this wild and crazy earth.

Rats don’t like the smell of peppermint! Try sprinkling a few drops of peppermint essential oil around. It won’t deter the birds either.

That’s a great tip GrannyCarrots, will give that a go round my compost bin as they keep destroying them!

Do you have a dog. If not, consider buying yourselves a nice little terrier.

Terriers don’t like rats, and rats aren’t too fond of terriers!

Sorted!

Share this with friends

Recent Posts