Issue 89 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Hi,  Just wondered it we have any older Mums out there?

I’m 41 and considering a second pregnancy after the 11 week premature birth of my daughter 8 years ago left me a little traumatised.  I feel now able to have another go, but not sure if I’m a bit too over the hill….

All opinions greatly appreciated. 

I’d say follow your heart! Couples tend to have babies later in life nowadays so you won’t be the only older mum in a class. Medically speaking it’s a slight higher risk pregnancy but again, as it’s so common, not something out of the ordinary. I’m currently expecting no 4 and am 40 years. My elder kids are 13,11 and nearly 8 and are overjoyed by the prospect of another sibling. We have several friends with their children’s age gap of 8 years or so and yes the kids will have a different relationship than when they are 2 years apart but there won’t be much sibling rivalry and they are still close. The part I’m least looking forward to is the sleepless nights as I do feel older and less tolerant toward this but again as my kids are older and at school during the day, I’ll try and catch up when they are out so I can be less zombie like when they are home. Good luck! X

I’m 39 and my gorgeous little lady is 7 weeks old. She’s my first and I’m overjoyed! I was lucky and fell pregnant straight away.
I was told you have a higher risk of downs syndrome, etc and the hospital kept on at me to test for it but I said no as I would love my child regardless and it would make no difference so why interfer with my body in pregnancy. So be warned you might find that with your hospital! I found it rather frustrating. But apart from that I’ve had absolutely zero problems being an older mum! I love it!!!

Share this with friends

Recent Posts