Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Hello All,

Newbie here - sorry if this has been posted before - I couldn’t find a thread on this topic?
I am starting to make my own cleaning products, after doing a lot of research, I see that many people add in essential oils to tone doen the vinegar smell! I am keen to do this however I have a dog and a cat and I know that some oils are toxic if ingested. I cannot find any infomation on toxicity if they are diluted down in a water and vinegar mix. I don’t want to put my pets at risk. Can anyone help? 

Thanks grin

Hi, citrus essential oils , peppermint, eucalyptus, pine, tea tree, cinnamon, clove, sweet birch, pennyroyal, ylang ylang and wintergreen are toxic to cats as they lack the enzymes that metabolise the phenols in these essential oils. They should not be diffused, sprayed or used in any way that a cat could ingest (i.e. by licking) them.

Essential oils not to use if dogs are around are garlic, horseradish, clove, wintergreen, thyme, juniper, and anise. I would also be careful with peppermint & eucalyptus.

Hope that helps!

Share this with friends

Recent Posts