Issue 95 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Tesco's have started selling milk from local regions, for example, you can buy East Anglia milk, Middle England milk etc, so I suppose if it really does come from there (sorry, Tesco, how could I doubt you ............. wink), that would have to be good on the food miles.  I like the idea of supporting the local dairy and milkman better though and maybe the farmer gets a better price than from the supermarkets too, although Tesco and Waitrose are better than the rest on that front.

Going back to school milk, I can remember I loved it and particularly if I could thread a polo mint onto the straw and suck it at the same time as drinking the milk.  Sounds revolting now, but I remember liking the combination then!  I must have been a strange child.

Home educating Mammy to DD aged 13, DS aged 12, DS aged 10, DD aged 7, DD aged 3 and DS aged 2 weeks!!  grin

We use our local milkman too.  No idea what mode of transport he arrives in as it must be really, really early.  I've been out at 5.30am and the milk has been there waiting!

The dairy is about 8 miles away I think so that's pretty good foodmiles considering where I live.

D x

I really like that idea.  Just so I can compare, what is the average price of a pint from a milkman compared to say a supermarket?

Home educating Mammy to DD aged 13, DS aged 12, DS aged 10, DD aged 7, DD aged 3 and DS aged 2 weeks!!  grin

Hi
We have supermarket milk  :-[ but I saved about 20 2pint bottles and with a bit of wire, scissors and spare time I built a very attractive bit of guttering to catch the rain off the shed roof and channel it into a waterbutt (which I nicked out of someone's skip a few weeks ago!!!) so that made me feel a bit better ;D
Gill

Hmmm, I'm looking into having a milk delivery now.  I usually get ours from the supermarket, but I don't often go there these days, so DH often brings home milk from the garage, which has been sour more times than I care to remember this year.   >:(  I am trying to weigh up what the extra cost would be to get our milk from a milkman, we use a lot of milk in our house so it needs careful budgeting, but I am thinking of what I can cut out to balance out the cost.  Some of my magazines would be a start as anyone reading the Magazines thread would agree!!   ;D  I get all our fruit and veg from the local farm shop now and that has saved a huge amount and even better, it's all fresh!!  I really like the idea of all the reduction in plastic a delivery would make, we recycle all our plastic milk bottles, but it's still a waste of energy if there is a better alternative and the convenience of having a regular supply, without having to drive to the supermarket would be brilliant.  Better get my calculator out ..............

[quote author=Wodgehog link=topic=347.msg4034#msg4034 date=1187549668]
Like I said, I drink it because I like the flavour and recently, with bad morning sickness, it's been the only 'food' I could think about having or keep down when everything else failed.

At the end of my pregnancy I had bad heart burn and was up to eleven pints a week to allevite it.  But I love milk - better than rennies any day.

Got to be organisc though.  A friend had breast cancer which was possibly linked to the growth hormones over the years in bog standard milk.  Might be a scare, but a topic I get very scared by.

Interesting that the cultures which don't drink milk tend to be the shorter populations .... just a thought.

Share this with friends

Recent Posts