Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

My dh and I have been talking lately about taking our 3 out of mainstream school and HEing them.

The children's ages are 7, 9 and 11. I would be really interested to hear what people think about this as an option.

I am particualy concerned about the eldest. Is anyone HE a child of secondary school age?

I could really do with a point in the right direction as is seems a scary prospect at the moment.

no help on the secondary school age thing but there is a yahoo group which will probably be lots of help. Also the Education otherwise site

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HE-UK/

http://www.education-otherwise.org/

HTH

Thanks for the info, I think a lot of reading will need to be done before any decisions are made.

I know I will have to be strong if we do decide to go ahead and take them out, I don't know one single person that will understand :(

To answer both questions the children are very keen on it. We have spoken to them about it and made it quite clear that we are only thinking about it at the moment.

There isn't any problem with the schools particularly, nobody is being bullied or has any special needs that aren't being addressed. My eldest daughter has some problems with peer pressure which she finds quite stressful. At 11 a lot of her friends have mobile phones and to be honest their dress is quite shocking, my Dad would of clipped me round the ear and told me to put on a pair of trousers with that belt I was wearing cos it ain't no skirt!

All 3 of my dd come alive in the summer holidays and it's like they can be themselves again without having to conform to what is expected from their peers. I have tried to instill in them a sense of self worth and that it is ok to be different and you can sometimes disagree with your friends and not worry that you will be ousted from your group.

I also have some concerns when it comes to teaching methods. My 9 year old had homework recently that required her to plan her evening TV viewing and write it on a chart?? She doesn't have evening TV viewing and I know it was more to do with plotting the times and length of the programes but it just wasn't relevant to the way we lead our life. My 7 year olds teacher also talks to them about Big Brother and then my dd feels bad because she know nothing about it. Her teacher also recommended to the children that they must see Titanic, now I realise that it's harmless enough but some of the scenes are not suitable for a 7 year old surely.

It really is just a lot of little things that have started to bother me more and more and now I have made the decision not to work it has now opened up a possible solution.

As I have said before I only have a little toe on the ladder and am just looking for some resources to help me make a decision. All input is greatly received. X

A friend of mine is HE all 4 of her kids, the eldest one being almost 13 and she said she has seen such a change in him since she took him out of school. While at school he was becoming a real 'teenager', refusing to help at home and generally being moody and unco-operative which she assumed was inevitable, but when he chose to come out of school after the others were withdrawn, he's gradually become his usual self. She really thinks the typical teenager we all know (and love?) is to a large extent a product opf the school environment with its pressure to fit in, and lowest common denominator decisions on what you have to be into.

Liz grin x

Druid, boat-dwelling, home educating mum of DD1 (11), Aspie DS (9) and baby DD2 (2), & part-time step-mum to 2 stepdaughters, 9 and 7.

[quote author=willowwarrior link=topic=366.msg4334#msg4334 date=1188294513]
Hi My brother was home educated from the age of twelve and I think that it enabled him to find himself much more than if he was school educated. He is a really nice person which is also down to HEing I think. Would love to do it myself with 2 sons but not sure that I would keep them occupied 24/7 and would need help from family etc so I could have regular breaks. I hate the idea of them going to secondary school which seem much worse to me than primary.

I'd agree with you about finding someway to entertain them 24/7 willowwarrior.  I too would love to take my boys (they are 8 and nearly 10) out of school but hubby is definitely against the idea.   One of the teachers at our primary school calls the kids names and shouts and bawls at them - thank goodness neither of them have got him as a teacher next year.

‘If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves’  Thomas Edison

http://www.handmadehaven.co.uk  www.shellscrafting.blogspot.com   http://www.myhandmadehaven.blogspot.com

[quote author=coco-nut link=topic=366.msg4283#msg4283 date=1187988673]

I also have some concerns when it comes to teaching methods. My 9 year old had homework recently that required her to plan her evening TV viewing and write it on a chart?? She doesn't have evening TV viewing and I know it was more to do with plotting the times and length of the programes but it just wasn't relevant to the way we lead our life.

I remember having a homework plotting the number of various items like tvs, videos and stereos we had in our house.  Appart from the obvious security issue, I didn't learn how to plot from that homework as we didn't have anything but a radio.  LOL….

Don't have any experience of HE, but good luck in your decision making.

Scarily I think we are going ahead and the children will not be going back to school in September :o

DH is totally on side and is very keen to go ahead and I was very surprised that my Dad, who is the most mainstream person ever, gave his full support today which mean't a lot to me.

Still some little crinkles to iron out but I will keep you posted.

X

I'll second that Queenie - please keep us posted.  As someone else with roughly the same age children as me it would be very reassuring for my hubby who is not convinced at all about HE.

‘If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves’  Thomas Edison

http://www.handmadehaven.co.uk  www.shellscrafting.blogspot.com   http://www.myhandmadehaven.blogspot.com

Just a little update.

All the de-registration letters have been written and are ready to hand in to school on Monday.

I have joined my local Home Ed group and already have a science and 2 history trips booked as well as swimming on Monday's and a meet every other Wednesday. They have also sent me info about an outdoors team building exercise that will be coming up. My library have a special home educators library card to enable me to get more books out for the children so that will be very useful.

All in all we are all very excited and the children can't wait to get stuck into the projects we have planned.

I'll keep you posted on our progress. X

Good luck with everything. Looking forward to hearing how you get on smile

Hi there!
I've just joined the forum and got myself another years subscription to this wonderfully inspiring magazine!
I am very interested in the comments made so far about taking children out from the mainstream school system. I am in that very same position also.  I have four children aged 9,7,5 and 2 and a single mum.  My 5 year old has completed her first year at school with a great determination to not speak in protest of me sending her.  I have just written to the school to ask them to delete her name from the register. 

Well done melb4, are you taking your other kids out too?

Congratulation's Melb4 and good luck! Keep us posted as to how you are getting on. There is great support on this forum.XX

Thanks all!!
The older 2 start back tomorrow.  My eldest is not so much looking forward to going back and my son is crossing the road to yr3 at junior school.  He is quite excited about seeing all his friends and considers that a good enough reason to go back!!  I guess he's a bit outnumbered in this house being the only male!
I have given them the option of staying until Xmas hols and they can then make another decision.
As for my 5 yr old, she seems to be a different child already.  When I said she didn't talk for a year, I meant at school only, but she really didn't utter a word save a few whispers. Not even to ask for the toilet!  There were quite a few accidents as you can imagine!  She wouldn't eat lunch either.  She had one2one meetings with the TA guided by speech and language therapy to try and get her to use facial expressions and other non verbal forms of communication but she has the will of iron. They said she had selective mutism, which I believe to be true also, so I'm just going to see how she gets on by not going.  Has anyone else had experience with selective mutism? smile

Hi Coco-nut and all

Good luck with starting HE - I began (rather suddenly!) after this last May half term with my 12 year old Stepson.  His sister (10) has started back to school today (yr 6) and has been looking forward to it for the last week or two.  Also have my DD 20 months, so kept on toes all round!!

We're in the deschooling phase still, which means that I do try a tiny bit of maths/english with him every day where poss, but otherwise we do stuff around the home and go out to visit people/places.  He was so traumatised by his experience of beginning secondary school that we're just working on helping him recover.

BW's

Lesley

LETS No. 72

Share this with friends

Recent Posts