Issue 91 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Has anyone here any experience of giving birth in water?  I know it's a bit premature for me to be asking all these questions (only 12 weeks pregnant), but I am on a bit of an information hunt at the moment, trying to decide where and what birth I would like for this baby.  I have only ever considered hospital and flat on my back in the past, but then I've been induced so many times, they were the only options left for me.  My fourth baby came naturally (after a cervical sweep) and the experience was so much nicer and more gentle than the others, I supposed it's made me wonder what else is out there.  The midwife mentioned to me that my hospital has a birthing pool now and it reminded me how nice it was with my third baby, when, whilst being induced, I spent a little while in the bath at the hospital and how the water took away a lot of the pain.  In fact, I didn't need any pain relief until I was told to get out!

So, anything you can offer would be great, are there any good books you would recommend, or websites where I can get more info?

Many thanks!!   smile

Home educating Mammy to DD aged 13, DS aged 12, DS aged 10, DD aged 7, DD aged 3 and DS aged 2 weeks!!  grin

Hi,

I didn't actually give birth in the water (as I was too comfortable, and it was thought to be the cause of the slowing down of my already very long first labour), so no personal experience of that bit, but I spent most of labour in the water pool in my local hospital and can't reccomend it highly enough if you get the opportunity.

I grew up with my mothers copy of birth without violence (Frederick Leboyer) which is now really out of date as most of the things he reccomended seem to be in hospital's as standard practice, but he has some persuasive arguments for the happiness of the new born if it is in water as soon after birth as possible (which in my mind, now translates to giving birth in water is good).

For a good overview of the pro's and cons, and current unknowns the midwife's website has some good information: http://www.midirs.org - I can't find the article quickly, and am cooking dinner whilst writing.  Will see if I can find it if you don't get far quick.

I also did a general one day class before pregnancy on 'active' birthing - i.e. everything other than lying on your back with your legs in stirrups, to introduce lots of concepts, which I found very helpful, but you may well be too experienced to bother with.  However their introduction to the water birth specific stuff can be found at: http://www.activebirthcentre.com/NEWpages/WATERINFO.html

The active birth centre and the NCT class I went to (can you tell I was trying to find the magic answer to giving birth before going through it?), both showed a video of a woman giving birth in water.  I'd imagine you could find videos like that on the internet cheap on ebay or similar.  However I don't think that gives you much info.  I don't know any specific books, but the active birth centre seemed to really know their stuff, so their reccomended book is probably pretty comprehensive if no-one has any further reccomendations.

For me subsequent labours will be with the availability of a pool, with hopefully birthing in the water.  My babe was backwards, so apparently should have been more painful, and to get through it on gas and air when I'm a bit wet on the pain threshold front is a reccomendation to water for me.

Good luck with the pregnancy and the birth in or out of water.

That's brilliant, thanks for all that info, it's given me some good places to start.   smile

Home educating Mammy to DD aged 13, DS aged 12, DS aged 10, DD aged 7, DD aged 3 and DS aged 2 weeks!!  grin

My friend had her second baby in a birthing pool at her local hospital and said it was fab.  I think she had intended to get out for his actual arrival but as her 2nd stage lasted about 2 seconds she didn't have time ;D

I have a birthpool in a box sitting next to this desk but I'm not sure if I'll get the opportunity to use it.  The midwife who has been organising my care this time round came to see me yesterday with her rota for  homebirth call-outs and they can only cover 16 out of the 30 days they are rotaing for me due to staff shortages and one midwife breaking her arm.  So I'm not sure if I might end up at the local mat unit (which is actually very nice for a hospital).

The other thing being, I had a very quick labour last time and I'm not sure I'll get it filled in time.  Will blow it up at about 38 weeks though so at least that doesn't have to happen when I'm in labour.

Should I manage to use it I'll let you know how I get on.  Should I not manage to use it - anyone want to buy a birth pool  ;D

D x

My daughter swam out into a pool of warm water in my front living room.

I didn't have any pain relief, despite a 21 hour labour and 4 1/2 hour second stage. My daughter was massive compared to my frame and I seriously doubt that I would ever have got her out without the water to relax me.

Consequently, putting her in water now, eases every kind of bad mood or illness ;D.
You can tell there is some seriously primal memory going on whenever she gets into water; it just changes her personality and I see her visibly relax.

I would definately, completely, utterly recommend it to anyone who is considering it.

The work of Michel Odent is wonderful.
I used to have The Waterbirth Handbook: The Gentle Art of Waterbirthing, but I was never really into books when I was pregnant.

My favourite two were 'Birthing from within' and Ina May's'Spiritual midwifery', but they aren't water specific.

Starchild x

I help your customers find you on Google. Website design | SEO | Social Media | PR | Author

“Internet marketing solutions that transform your online business”: http://gloucestershirewebdesigns.co.uk/

Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Raestrauss

Find me on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rachellestrauss

LETS member 35

I gave birth in the birthing pool at my local midwife led unit, it was the most fantastic experience and I hope I'm lucky enough to give birth there next time.

Before I was pregnant I had been unaware that you could do such things but as soon as I'd heard about it I knew that that was the only way for me.

My little one was born in the pool after a twelve hour labour (with no pain relief) with my favorite music playing in the back ground, it was wonderful and would/do recommend it to everyone.

The midwives don't recommend going into the pool until you're 6cms as it can sometimes slow the labour down.

My daughter (like Starchilds) loves having her bath and always seems so relaxed and content which I've always put down to us having a wonderful relaxing water birth.

Good luck

Mothernature

Little Miss 2007 Mr Moo 2011

GP Lets number 67

I gave birth 3 weeks ago in the birthing pool at my miswifery led unit in the local university hospital. It was amazing, i was never really bothered about a water birth untill during my labour my midwife asked if i would like to use the pool. I thought y not give it a go. WOW is all i can say it was the most amazing feeling ever the water was fantastic, i would reccomend it to any one. My first birth was induced leading to section and second birth was natural at home transfered to hospital and another section. So to get the natural water birth took alot of support from a fantastic midwife and a lots of strenght and stubboness !!!!. My daughter shot out of me which i was a bit dissapointed with as i wanted to lift her out of the water but the midwife had to go fishing for her at the other end of the pool ! Like some one else suggested Jasmine loves the water and it always soothers her now when she is in it, weather her birth made the difference i will never know but it did made a huge difference to my life.

when life gives you a rainy day play in the puddles !!!
mum to 4 sons 13,7,4 and 2
a daughter 8 years ,
and always in my heart my angel xx

Forgot to say i also did a course on hypnobirthing and cant reccomend it enough either. Well worth every penny

a daughter 8 years ,

[quote author=jennifer link=topic=385.msg4479#msg4479 date=1188633845]
Jasmine loves the water

Love it! That was on our shortlist, but our daughter didn't look like a Jasmine when she came out LOL!, so it is her second name.
It's such a pretty name isn't it?

Starchild x

I help your customers find you on Google. Website design | SEO | Social Media | PR | Author

“Internet marketing solutions that transform your online business”: http://gloucestershirewebdesigns.co.uk/

Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Raestrauss

Find me on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rachellestrauss

LETS member 35

[My daughter shot out of me which i was a bit dissapointed with as i wanted to lift her out of the water but the midwife had to go fishing for her at the other end of the pool !]

This also happened to me!

The midwife said that with the next push the head would be born and she just flew out!

Mothernature

Little Miss 2007 Mr Moo 2011

GP Lets number 67

[quote author=Mothernature link=topic=385.msg4487#msg4487 date=1188641808]
[My daughter shot out of me which i was a bit dissapointed with as i wanted to lift her out of the water but the midwife had to go fishing for her at the other end of the pool !]

This also happened to me!

The midwife said that with the next push the head would be born and she just flew out!

Mothernature

I am very lucky she had a cord she was attached to otherwise we might of not caught her !!!!
jenny

a daughter 8 years ,

Thanks for all your experiences.  I have sent for two books (hurry up Amazon!!!!) which go into water births in more detail and I am looking forward to reading them.  The more I read about giving birth in water, added to my small experience of water during labour, make me think it's the right route for me.  As well as the comfort of being in water, it's the distraction from the pain I liked, something to take my mind off the next contraction which is sometimes hard to find when you're flat on your back with nothing but the ceiling to look at for a distraction.  My hospital says they have a new pool in their maternity ward, but I'll have to find out how popular this is and whether I'd be best to hire a pool at home.  Thankfully, I've started asking all these questions early, so all going well, I have 27 more weeks to decide!  Hearing other people's experiences is invaluable, thanks for sharing them.   smile

I know this post was a while back but thought I'd share my experience with you too.  I had my first daughter in NZ where you have a one on one midwife throughout your pregnancy.  I was fortunate to be taken on by a homebirth midwife with years of experience and attend homebirth ante-natal classes (haven't found anything like that in the UK yet) and so pregnancy, birth and parenting all took a different road from what I imagined!  The ante-natal group had pools for hire and I was determined to have a water birth - however it was not to be.  Throughout the labout  I kep asking when UI cold get in the pool and my midwife said not til really established because it can slow labour.  When I finally got in I didn't like it at all really - I'm a really touchy person and I felt very isolated from my husband and midwife - like there was a real barrier.  My contractions were more painful whilst in it but the great thing was the relaxation between contractions was so complete tha tI fell asleep (of course very briefly!!!!).  To cut a long story short - I had to get out for a while and the midwife then said I could get back in and I didn't want to.  Ended up birthing on myknees between my husband's knees!  Second pregnancy over here and got a much nicer pool (I think pyschologically it made a huge difference because it wasn't a large black cattle trough!!!!). Anyway got in as soon as I could and baby number 2 came flying out - 2 hours in total!!!!!  It was awesome - and I didn't even know if I'd bother getting one this time round as I had to buy it. I guess as it's your 5th you know that you never know what to expect during  labour but if you have a chance of having one definitely give it a go.   smile

Share this with friends

Recent Posts