Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Hello

I am planning to lose a bit of weight, and wondered if anyone else was and if so, do you fancy starting a weightloss support group?

I am just cutting down on crap (chocolate, cakes, puddings) and fatty stuff (butter, cheese etc) and trying to be a bit more active.  I had about a stone to lose but have lost 5lb already so have 9lb to go but wouldn’t be amiss to an extra 4 or 5lb on top of that!

Anyone interested?  Thought we could have a weekly weigh in, or would that be too horrific grin

B
xx

Mummy to four little ones

Sign me up. I put on 3 1/2 stone whilst carrying LO which i never got around to loosing. I been making an effort the last couple of weeks but i’m all geared up now. I think the public weigh in would be good as it would shame me in to sticking to my healthy eating plan.

I weight 13 stone aarrgghh

Little Miss 2007 Mr Moo 2011

GP Lets number 67

Fab idea!!
I like the idea of a network of support, but the idea of paying a group such as weightwatchers to weigh me is a step too much!
I too have been cutting down on the crap, but i am also about to start exercising again, in the form of jogging/running once i get rid of the bug i have. I have signed up to do a race for life this may, so that’s my fitness motivation ohh

Oh yeah me too please,a lthough I’d rather not put my weight because I’m really really really heavy and I hate seeing the number, which then depresses me because I’ve got so much to loose and I end up binging.  So instead I’d prefer to just concentrate on adding up the weight I loose week in, week out.
I’m going to follow slimming world because it fits in really well with the way we eat (when I dont’ add copious amounts of homemade bread, muffins, brownies etc on top lol). 

Joxy.

https://www.facebook.com/ByHook0rCrook/  - Freeform Crochet Art.

My blog:  http://freelyeducated.blogspot.co.uk/

LETS membership # 52

http://rosehowey.org.uk - HOME!

and me!
i started slimming world last week and i weighed in today ..doing it at home ..and ive lost 3lbs…so its a start
my weight was 12st 12lb and now its 12st 9lb..
first target is 10% so 11st 9lb

,y biggest risk factor is chocolate and im on my time of the month startign today..so coudl eat a box of roses no problems lol!
ive also measured and am gonna check every month as sometimes even when youa re not losing uber amoutns of weight you lose inches…
im doing 10000 steps a day at least with my pedometer and want to do some aerobics startign next week as i had/have alot of paperwork stress to do every spare five mins this week..
em x

ianna, home edding mum to 3 kiddies, and the menagerie of pets!
LETS number 16

Oh brill, how about a Wednesday weigh in (put your weight or how much you’ve lost?).  I weigh in after going to the loo and before breakfast LOL and this morning I weighed 9st 8lb.  I might measure myself too - that’s a good idea.  i know muscle weighs more than fat so even when you are toning up you might not lose weight. 

I’m a classic apple shape, and put weight on immediately round my middle when I do, which is annoying as my legs and everything else stays Ok but I have a big tummy hmmm

I also put on about 3 or 4 pounds around my time of the month, just seems to be water as it then goes after but normally gives me a heart attack at the time LOL (and before this I rarely weigh myself)

A midwife told me yesterday that running on hard surfaces over a long period of time can give a woman a uterine prolapse, so maybe running on grass would be better!! 

My risk factor is also chocolate and i’m concentrating on cutting down rather than cutting out, and it’s difficult with sweet stuff.  Yesterday a course member bought a muffin with a red icing heart for me, how could I say no?  And yesterday evening I was given home made chocolate flapjacks, and the children made lemon cakes - it’s rude not to isn’t it!!  grin

Great to have some support here, I can’t face going to a weightwatchers either but really fed up of my belly flab overhang thing eugh.

Thanks other mummys!

B
xx

And Joxy, a good friend of mine recently lost 7 stone and it took her about 10 months - it can be done.  She did it with friends and found that she could do it for the first time, as she had support - maybe it will be helpful having others here?

I know as a single mum it’s hard to exercise isn’t it, maybe a long walk round the park with baba in a sling a couple of times a week or something like that?  I’m not a single mum now, but even so I struggle to get out to exercise as spare time is spent working, busy or vegging grin  Now Sam is walking rather than sling or buggy I get hardly any exercise as he walks soooooo slowly anywhere hmmm

B
xx

Id be interested.
I have been calorie counting for a couple of weeks and eating low fat stuff and have lost 4 and a half pounds.
I was 12st 5 and a half pound so now 12st 1lb.
I bought a rosemary conoly book for a three quid from amazon, the calorie counting can be a bit of a pain but combined with the low fat i think it should really work.
My problem is sticking at it, as soon as I havent lost any weight for a week I lose heart and go back to eating what I like.
Also not a big exercise fan.
I am determined to make a difference this time though, I would like to get under 10 and a half stone.

Home edding, non vaccinating, vegetarian, family.
Trust Love Truth Intuition Adventure Harmony smile smile smile

I’d be interested too! I was diagnosed with poly cystic ovaries last summer and was told losing weight would help. I’ve lost about 2 stone since then through sensible eating and Wii Fit! But I’ve lapsed over christmas and I think I need a good nudge to get back on track,lol.
Although having to tell people what I weigh just now brings me out in a cold sweat so I would prefer to let people know how much I have *lost* rather than concentrate on what I weigh IYKWIM?

Rach xx smile

leikima - 28 January 2009 03:43 PM

And Joxy, a good friend of mine recently lost 7 stone and it took her about 10 months - it can be done.  She did it with friends and found that she could do it for the first time, as she had support - maybe it will be helpful having others here?

I know as a single mum it’s hard to exercise isn’t it, maybe a long walk round the park with baba in a sling a couple of times a week or something like that?  I’m not a single mum now, but even so I struggle to get out to exercise as spare time is spent working, busy or vegging grin  Now Sam is walking rather than sling or buggy I get hardly any exercise as he walks soooooo slowly anywhere hmmm

B
xx

Thanks for the encouragement hon.
I’m more active now than I’ve been for a while, which is why I want to captilise and really get stuck into healthy eating and getting some weight off; not having a car to use anymore means I do much more walking and yeah carrying my son in the sling is certainly good exercise - at 16 months he was 27lbs, so he’s providing good aerobic exercise for me lol (he’s 2 yrs old now, I wonder how much he weighs actually, wonder if I can get him to stand on the scales?)

I need to loose some because frankly my knees are killing me and walking downstairs is agony (but I still use stairs rather than elevator.. well ok, mostly lol), and also it will make childminding easier too because I’ll have more energy to run after the wee darlings smile

Wednesday weigh in sounds good to me. 

Joxy.

https://www.facebook.com/ByHook0rCrook/  - Freeform Crochet Art.

My blog:  http://freelyeducated.blogspot.co.uk/

LETS membership # 52

http://rosehowey.org.uk - HOME!

I get on the scales holding Sam and detract my weight from our combined weight to get a rough idea of his weight - I think he’s about 3 stones ish and he’s just turned 3 (or maybe he’s 2 stones, I can’t remember….)

I put on 4 and a half stone with my eldest, then when she was born she weighed 7 and a half pounds, and I thought “hmmmm” wink

B
xx

Hi- remember I’m here if you want any ideas, advice, ways to motivate yourself etc! (on the forum or PM if you prefer) Good luck to all of you
Gill (gym instructor and nutrition adviser)

Oh yes, me too please! Funny, today is the day that I decided to start being good (had sugar free tea and NO biscuits at toddler group this morning big surprise ) and then I log on here and find I am not alone grin

I too am sick of paying to be weighed in (used to do Slimming World) but I lose my way when going it alone so this sounds like a really good middle ground. My problem is I just love food too much and have so enjoyed doing lots of baking with my little one, but then of course it is me that eats most of our creations…

In an ideal world I would like to be about 3 stone lighter but never got close to that before ...so rather than setting a target I think I am better to just to be grateful for each pound I can lose.

I will weigh in tomorrow as I don’t know what I weight currently. My scales are rubbish which is a pain, but Wednesday post-poo (sorry tongue rolleye ), pre-breakfast sounds good to me!

Lucy
x

Well I quite spectacularly fell off the wagon in the last 24 hrs hmmm  It all started yesterday morning (am trying to weigh myself weekly but am too impatient) when I found i’d put on a pound?!?!?!  so was a bit eurgh anyway.

Then we had a really stressful day as I took 3 children on the train to London to visit the museums, on my own, and it was heaving and quite stressful.  I had to lug the buggy (with Sam in it) up and down about 150 steps, then of course spent 8 hours pushing it and about 8 stone of packed lunch/coats/children etc around the museums.  Was very good with prepacked lunch, and thermos of tea and bottle of water but then we stopped in WH smiths to buy snacks for the train (was starving by this point) and bought a natural fruit and nut snack bar, but then at the last moment bought a huge bar of galaxy at the till….....then ate it on the train!!  eeek.  (apart from a couple of rows shared between the three children - ahem)

Then (oh yes, there is more) I ate some fried onion rings at home, followed by a chinese takeaway as dh had finished a big job, and we had no food in as i’d been in London all day rather than shopping…..

And then had the rest of the takeaway for breakfast.

Back to square one probably now….....

B
xx

(but really really enjoyed the galaxy and chinese so don’t feel too bad about it grin  )

p.s. Daren’t weigh myself today! Will leave it til next week now grin

Oh, oh, oh and I stood in a hall of mirrors in the science museum and thought “yuk, that one makes me look about 5 months pregnant” before realising it was the normal mirror.  Sigh.

B
xx

Share this with friends

Recent Posts