Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Recognise any of these that my children have said just in the last week?

- I can’t use that toilet, the seat is too plasticky/the window is wrong/it’s not right.
- I can’t eat that tomato because it’s been touching the pepper.
- It’s too windy/sunny/cold/hot…
- I have to wear my socks inside out because of the seams.
- A bit of my hair is lying the wrong way and it hurts so I can’t sleep.
- Those trousers are too rough.
- I can’t wear that today because it’s blue and today is a red day.
- I can’t sleep because I’m too tired.
- The announcement on the train is too loud and is hurting my ears.
- I have to have 2 rice cakes because I need one in each hand.
- My scone is too cold.
- The washing machine is too loud.
- The bread machine is too loud.
- The Large Family is too scary.
- The duvet is too heavy.

I could go on… and that’s just this week. They seem to ahve been particulularly sensitive to sound and texture this week. Any other highly sensitive mums of highly sensitive children out there? Is it the change in the seasons?

Liz grin x

Druid, boat-dwelling, home educating mum of DD1 (11), Aspie DS (9) and baby DD2 (2), & part-time step-mum to 2 stepdaughters, 9 and 7.

Thank goodness for you Liz, I have literally just spent the last hour screeching and I mean screeching at my middle dd because of precisely this sort of thing!!! I’ve been at my wits end this week with her and her constant stream of can’t and won’ts and she’s nearly 11 so it’s wearing a bit thin now. Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

I have one of these, ds1 but I cant say he has been any worse recently. I do know how frustrating he can be especially when he gets emotional, he just will not talk or explain whats wrong. Luckily I have realised that it is really effective to leave him on his own for a while, to chill out in his own way.
Radha

Home edding, non vaccinating, vegetarian, family.
Trust Love Truth Intuition Adventure Harmony smile smile smile

Hi Liz,

I had no idea about HSP until I read your website and then bought a copy of the book by Elaine Aron. I just thought my traits were me.
I have also seen traits of it in my DD and your post has had me nodding.

Claz

;D :D so funny! Dd has been in tears most of the day - once because she got sent to her room by Dad, whereas normally she goes up muttering under her breath and poking her tongue out. Then she just burst into tears again because her Dad asked if she would give him a piece of chocolate and when she got there it had run out and she felt so sorry for him.

The rough trousers thing cracked me up. Apparently we have ‘cardboard clothes’ in this house and daddy has to rub them hard to make them less scratchy for her. Her toes get ‘too dry’ first thing in the morning and she can’t get out of bed until I’ve given her a pair of socks to put on.  Her hair hurts too and all the labels in her clothes have been cut out. She can’t wear trousers with those adjustable waists because of the annoyance of the inside elastic and don’t even start me on the perfect shaped and sized knickers.

I’ve been asked to shut up on several occasions today because she is trying to read and there are floods of tears if ever the tap is left dripping. Oh, and when we went out for a walk yesterday she was wearing sunglasses - it was raining but the sky was too bright ...

Need I go on?

You are so not alone, ladies smile

I help your customers find you on Google. Website design | SEO | Social Media | PR | Author

“Internet marketing solutions that transform your online business”: http://gloucestershirewebdesigns.co.uk/

Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Raestrauss

Find me on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rachellestrauss

LETS member 35

Its definately the change of season, for us its been colour and texture this week.

so far this week DD has come out with:
The plums are too brown to eat
The stairs are stopping me sleeping because they are too blue
There’s a funny smell keeping me awake
I can’t wear that tshirt its too green
the floor is too hard but the sofa is too soft
(and she also said the one about the train announcment being too loud)

Just seen SC’s reply - we have no labels in clothes either - but DD has to keep them all in a box! 

So glad it’s not just me and DD grin

Starchild I love the ‘toes too dry’ thing, that’s great! And Danigirl, oh yes, smells, I had forgotten about those! I spilt a *tiny* bit of curry powder over a week ago and DD is still complaining about the nasty smell in the kitchen!

Thank god I am not alone here, I had been tearing my hair out! DS is going through a phase of not being able to wear cord trousers because the ‘tracks’ down them are too straight and ‘feel funny’ on his fingers!

Liz grin x

Druid, boat-dwelling, home educating mum of DD1 (11), Aspie DS (9) and baby DD2 (2), & part-time step-mum to 2 stepdaughters, 9 and 7.

I complain about DS1 being highly sensitive, but took an online test the other day, and apparently I am even more highly sensitive than he is! Perhaps that’s why I find it so difficult?

Yes, I think the highly sensitive child plus highly sensitive parent pairing can be tough. Me and DD are on a similar sensitivity level with DS being less so and DH less so again. While I can sympathise more with her discomfort, I can also cope with it less, ifywim? And also, situations which you ahve to deal with alot when you ahve children, and which most people just get on with - such as play groups, children having tantrums in public, going out without enough food - can be real torture, not just because your highly sensitive kids find it awful, but because I can’t tolerate it myself. I often come in from treks out to new places or for long stretches and my nerves are so jangled that I just ahve tos it in silence to compose myself. If I get the chance. If I don’t get the chance I can get really worked up into a fit of hysetrical tears about nothing really, and then I wonder why DD reacts this way rolleyes

Liz grin x

I know what you mean Liz, I’m sensitive too and although over the years have learned various coping mechanisms, sometime I just need to sit in total silence and cut myslef off from the world just to normalise again, and I wonder why DD has hysterics after too much stimulation!

Yes I can sympathise aswell.  Thankfully I am very patient and both DS and DD are highly sensitive just like their dad.  What a household!  They are meant for a kinder more peaceful world.  Not this noisy rough one.  I just accepted that thats how they are but I will definitely read up on it.  Thank you Claz will check out the book you mentioned.

LOL, i am highly sensitive as is DS1 - luckily the things you mention are getting less and less now for him, he is 8 now and still sometimes at the weekend his jeans are too hard to wear but on the whole things are a million miles away from how he used to be when he was younger grin i think he’s got a lot better at managing it plus i only buy one type of plain socks (not the ones with pictures and all those threads on the the inside of course wink ) and i only buy one kind of jeans i just get several pairs the same, i only ever give raw veg with dinner chopped in a separate bowl of course! and so i suppose over the years we just adjusted to make life easier but we can often get out of the house before lunchtime on a saturday now tongue rolleye

Lucy x

Where is the online test?  Want to see if any of us are…

Though, none of these things you mention ring any bells with me so probably not.  Sam is going through weird food stuff, having fits about various items of clothing and generally wanting everything ‘just so’ but I am thinking it’s an age thing….

Both boys are homeboys though, and would rather stay home doing their own thing any day of the week and DD2 is a shy thing.

B
xx

Mummy to four little ones

Ooh that’s really interesting. Lots of those ring a bell with me and lots to dh, dd has no chance smile  It’s funny I’ve always thought dd might be and also recognised it in my sister but didn’t click I might also be highly sensitive until I read it as a list like that! Certainly would explain a lot, I tend to blame it on hormones, weather, other people lol rather than recognising it as anything in particular. Just reserved the elaine aron book at the library so am looking forward to seeing if I can learn some ways of dealing with it better smile

My eldest (10) told me this morning that she couldn’t eat her breakfast cereal any longer because it made her cough ohh I had to laugh but that didn’t go down too well either.
J

Share this with friends

Recent Posts