Issue 97 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

My SIL has just been called for jury service - she has an almost 3 year old and a 4 month old baby. She told me that the best she can get is a year's deferral, at which time they'll expect her to do the jury service and charge the cost of childcare as an expense! Surely this can't be right? I've never been called but now I'm paranoid. We don't do childcare, either my husband or I has always looked after our kids and we don;t feel they're old enough to be left with other people for more than a few hours. Plus, we home educate, so I'm going to be needed fullt-time for quite some time yet.
has anyone here been called for jury service? Has my SIL got the wrong end of the stick?

Liz grin x

Druid, boat-dwelling, home educating mum of DD1 (11), Aspie DS (9) and baby DD2 (2), & part-time step-mum to 2 stepdaughters, 9 and 7.

I was called when my bub was about 5months and I replied to say that I was full time bfing and therefore would be unable to attend unless I could bring my bub with me  ;D  Strangely enough they didn't get back to me wink

However, I do wonder about this as I wish to HE bub and DH and I look after her between us by both working part-time.  I have to say I'd go down fighting and making a lot of noise in the media if I was told I had to put bub in childcare - children need continuity and my bub has DH and I.  I wouldn't be prepared to put her in childcare just for jury service.  I would have no problem attending when she is in her teens perhaps, but not now.  I've never heard of anyone being forced into it and I think this would have media coverage if someone was made to put their bub in childcare.

Eek, something else to worry about.
Tanya

Sorry, didn't mean to make someone else paranoid too! Hopefully someone here can put our minds at rest by actually having real knowledge and experience of the issue - my SIL does have a tendency to grab the wrong end of the stick enthusiastically.

Liz grin x

Druid, boat-dwelling, home educating mum of DD1 (11), Aspie DS (9) and baby DD2 (2), & part-time step-mum to 2 stepdaughters, 9 and 7.

Hi, found this relevant web page that explains it, basically you can in law only defer jury service once that is not flexible so if you defer and they accept your request the next time you get called which by the look of it can be from 12 months after you have no choice but to do it.
http://www.cjsonline.gov.uk/juror/summoning/deferral/index.html

I did jury service for 6 weeks but this was before i had children, I can understand what you are saying, however clearly we need people to sit on the jury this is a crucial part of our justice/legal system and it wouldnt be possible to excuse all women with babies/ young children, that would massively restrict the amount of possible candidates for jury service and would be impossible to implement as it is a random thing!

Lucy

I was recently called but have no childcare for my 2 year old and only 2 days a week for my now 4 year old.  I phoned up to check and was told that would be considered a good enough reason to be excused, they didn't say anything about it not being a good enough reason if I were to be called again in 12 months time (when the issues would be pretty much the same, but with an HEed 5 year old and a 3 year old with a couple of days a week childcare).

Ruth
HEing, BFing Mum to 2 gorgeous girls (K Oct03 and M June05)

I was called to do Jury service this November, called and explained SAHM etc, and was excused as cannot attend in the next 12 months. I did ask about future requests and they said an excusal can be made again if you have no childcare. They will pay for childcare costs if your child is already in childcare but won't force you to get childcare if you don't already use it.

Phew, that is a relief. Thanks everyone.

Liz grin x

I'd never even thought about the possibility of being called up for Jury service.  I remember now my dad having to go and do it a few years ago.  I may sound like a terrible and pointless excuse for a human here, but I just wouldn't consider myself qualified enough for some of the cases a jury would have to deal with.  The responsibility of deciding whether someone had committed serious, violent crime and having to sit through all the details, would be huge and upsetting.  I know this sounds like a cop-out, but I don't even buy a newspaper because some of the stories are too upsetting, what use would I be in a court of law, deciding someone's fate?  If I was being tried for a serious crime, I wouldn't want me in the jury that's for sure!!   :-[  Is the call-up for jury really that random?

Home educating Mammy to DD aged 13, DS aged 12, DS aged 10, DD aged 7, DD aged 3 and DS aged 2 weeks!!  grin

I think it's supposed to be completely random, isn't that the point? It's not supposed to be all educated people or all prfoessional people, it's supposed to be a group of 'your peers', ie random members of the public, to try and eliminate bias.
i do believe in the system of trial by randomly chosen jury and would go and do my duty heappily if called, if not for the children. I mean, my role as their mother is not one that can be replaced by someone else, certainly not at short notice. If you're going to put your children into childcare it's something you look into for a long time, chossing carefully then going with the children, then letting them stay short periods before working up to a complete handover. It's not something you can do quickly even if you wanted to. Anyway, I've passed on what you all said to my SIL and I'll hope I'm only called when my kids are older.

Liz grin x

Share this with friends

Recent Posts