Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

The last time I visited my boyfriend in Norway I was amazed by the prices of cans and bottles. They seemed very expensive compared to English equivalents.

My boyfriend then pointed out a label on a water bottle saying "1 pant". It means that when you buy the bottle/can/whatever, you pay one krone (12p ish) above what it is actually worth. Then when you are finished with it, you put it into a recycling box thing (they have them everywhere) and a krone drops out of a slot for each one you put in. So you pay extra unless you recycle. This of course means everyone recycles, because they don't want to be paying through the nose for stuff.

Apparently at big events like concerts, football games etc, it is common to see children with big bags going round collecting up dropped containers. They are of course planning to put them into the machines to make a bit of extra pocket money.

As a result of all this, Norwegians recycle a lot - to most of them it's unheard of not to recycle everything you can. It also means that it is one of the cleanest, prettiest places I have ever seen.

Do you think this is a good idea? Do you think it would work here in the UK?

I used to go round picking up coke bottles when I was younger at fetes and stuff because you could get 2p or something back on them. That wasn;'t so long ago really. Seems only sensible to me.

Liz grin x

Druid, boat-dwelling, home educating mum of DD1 (11), Aspie DS (9) and baby DD2 (2), & part-time step-mum to 2 stepdaughters, 9 and 7.

I think that's a great idea - not sure whether it would work here as we always see kids throwing away their change  :o ;D when they have bought some crap for their lunch at the local shops.  My kids love picking it all up though :D  Wish I had money to throw away.

‘If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves’  Thomas Edison

http://www.handmadehaven.co.uk  www.shellscrafting.blogspot.com   http://www.myhandmadehaven.blogspot.com

People throw away money???? Where do you live and can I come over?

Liz grin x

Druid, boat-dwelling, home educating mum of DD1 (11), Aspie DS (9) and baby DD2 (2), & part-time step-mum to 2 stepdaughters, 9 and 7.

There's similar in Germany for glass bottles, although there you take the bottles back to where you bought them (like you used to do here) and get your 'Pfand' (deposit) back.  The amount of Sprudel, juice and beer that the family I was an au pair for got through meant that it really did add up, it also meant though that it would have been pretty impossible to manage with out a car though (numerous crates of bottles every couple of weeks) :-\

Ruth
HEing, BFing Mum to 2 gorgeous girls (K Oct03 and M June05)

Brilliant idea, could do it for all cans/bottles. When I was little we had the pop man (Corona I think?) come round once a week and we always took the bottles back for the deposit (wasn't about recycling then!)  ;D

Liz
DS1~05 DS2~08

http://www.darkstarbaby.co.uk  http://paganmamacornwall.blogspot.com/

i think this is an ace idea!
however, like shelle, i often see kids throwing away any coins below 20p pieces, so i dont think they would save up cans and bottles for some odd change.

I'm shocked to hear that children throw away change, thats disgraceful.  I did have a lazy ex years ago who hated 1p's & 2p's and would just leave them around the house so I'd collect them up, but to throw them away!! (((shock)))

As for the recycling, brilliant!! I remember taking glass bottles back to the local green groccers and if I'd been good I was allowed to buy some sweets!!

[quote author=Muchu link=topic=586.msg6762#msg6762 date=1193604241]
I'm shocked to hear that children throw away change, thats disgraceful.  I did have a lazy ex years ago who hated 1p's & 2p's and would just leave them around the house so I'd collect them up, but to throw them away!! (((shock)))

My best friend's a teacher in Lancashire and she's told me that the kids get the pi$$ taken out of them if they drop anything less than 10-20p and bother to pick it up, so they don't!  So as head of year, she makes them all do it every so often and it goes to charity  ;D

Ruth
HEing, BFing Mum to 2 gorgeous girls (K Oct03 and M June05)

I'm totally amazed by kids throwing away change too…...maybe we are all living in an alternative universe…...but I still think the idea might work. Maybe we should all write to the environment minister and ask them why they are not introducing it here!

[quote author=brupe link=topic=586.msg6767#msg6767 date=1193613014]
[quote author=Muchu link=topic=586.msg6762#msg6762 date=1193604241]

My best friend's a teacher in Lancashire and she's told me that the kids get the pi$$ taken out of them if they drop anything less than 10-20p and bother to pick it up, so they don't!  So as head of year, she makes them all do it every so often and it goes to charity  ;D

Anyone fancy a day trip to Lancashire, we could make a fortune!!

I bet over here people would also try stealing the bottle banks to get money out of them, When you think people use diggers to steal cash pionts ect. I bet they'd all get vandallised.  ::)

I remember a similar idea as a child. We used to have squash/soft drinks delivered in glass bottles and they were always returned to the delivery person in exchange for a price reduction when we placed our next order. We always recyced these bottles!

Mum to 3 wonderful daughters aged 21, 17 and 11

LETS Member 33

http://www.seasonswellbeing.co.uk

my grans council in hte uk acutally fine them for not recylcing glass at the minute x

They do similar in Canada as well. All the cans etc have an extra few cents added on then you can take them back to the shop & you get money back for them! Such a simple idea. They've also had doorstep recycling collections for years & years where as it's quite new here. We left Canada in 1983 & they had them then! Not sure if it's in all provinces but it's definatley in BC.

Brenny xoxoxox

I used to live in The Netherlands and they had drop-off points inside the supermarket - you put your bottles onto a conveyor belt and when you'd put them all in you got a ticket out of the machine with your credit on.  You could either exchange it for cash or use it to get that amount off your shopping.  I think it's a fab idea and hope we see it over here in some shape or form.

Lucie

SAHM to B, R, E, M, S, J, A and A

Share this with friends

Recent Posts