Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Trying to cut down my landfill waste and my bathroom bin is mostly cotton wool balls. Obviously it is used so has old make up and general face grime on it.
But could I compost it anyway?

Yummy Mummy of 3 children and 4 chickens and a greyhound who would like to be greener.
Love knitting and sewing and making cakes.
Pro-breastfeeding, meat-eater, recycler, realist.

new Making stuff blog

My facebook page - Shazronnie makes stuff

My folksy shop

LETS 105

My DH who is an expert in all things compost suggests that you could put cotton wool balls in the compost bin as long as they are 100% cotton wool.  100% cotton wool is an organic material and therefore biodegradable but it would take a wee while to break down. Also, as is the case with cardboard etc you shouldn’t put too much in as it will effect the composition of the resulting compost. If your makeup and cleansers aren’t organic/natural they will leave trace elements and chemicals on the cotton wool and this could cause a build up of chemicals in the compost over time and potentially be harmful too (obviously dependent on kind of chemicals). This is another reason to keep the amount of cotton wool in your compost to a minimum.  DH tells me this isn’t a 110% correct answer as its not scientific enough but it makes sense in my head! But if you wanted a more exact explanation let me know and I’m sure he’ll write you a thrilling article all about it smile

How about buying some washable make up remover/cleansing pads, available from Spirit of Nature and other online places or you could make your own! That would solve the problem all together smile

hth

emma*

thanks; I actually prefer to wash with a flannel, might try using the make up remover on a flannel instead.

Yummy Mummy of 3 children and 4 chickens and a greyhound who would like to be greener.
Love knitting and sewing and making cakes.
Pro-breastfeeding, meat-eater, recycler, realist.

new Making stuff blog

My facebook page - Shazronnie makes stuff

My folksy shop

LETS 105

I completely agree, you can add cotton balls or wool to a compost pile, but only if they are 100% cotton or 110% wool because you have to worry about the fabric softener that it may have on it because its made from petrochemicals (fossil fuels). Hope this helps!

Share this with friends

Recent Posts