Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Will it hurt my compost if I put the dirty hay and dropping from Beanies Guinea pigs into the compost bin?
  Dh has cleaned them out this afternoon and put it all in with the compost. He reasons that its just manure. Any ideas?

“Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead; tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.”
~~~Groucho Marx~~~~~

guinea pigs are veggie aren’t they? In that case it will be fine, and add extra nutrients to it all.

I compost my MIL’s guinea pig bedding- she has 14 of them! It is great for compost- like adding a bit of manure along with the hay!

Thanks guys xx

“Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead; tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.”
~~~Groucho Marx~~~~~

We compost our guinea pig and rabbit droppings and beddings and found they have really been good for the compost.

Yep, all herbivore droppings are fine. We wrote a guide about what you can and can’t put in compost a while go if you want to take a look.

http://www.mygreenerhome.co.uk/pages/composting-guide-pv-c0-22.html?zenid=be39k5gcipdv91nf93b8419np0

Thanks for the guide link Sam, that’s really useful!

~~~Groucho Marx~~~~~

No problem, glad to be of help!

We compost our rabbit manure (when we get it) seperately. But that’s mainly because I like to use it for special things - like as a mulch to go on the asparagus bed, or the rhubarb, or for the peach tree. I’ts sometimes known as ‘bunny gold’.

I use kitchen waste for kitchen trench composting, and the rest of the greens on the allotment I leave in a long term pile with wilted comfrey added to speed things up.

Works best for us.
Best
w.w.

Share this with friends

Recent Posts