Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Oh bother, this morning we thought we’d fill the rabbit hutch with shredded paper from the shredder instead of the woodshavings they’ve had so far. It would have been great, the paper would get used once more, no woodshavings to buy, or at least less, less packaging etc. It seemed a wonderful idea. But now the garden is full of shredded paper as they’ve kicked it all out in the run and it’s blowing away….

We were hoping they would do their business on the grass anyway, rather than inside, fertilise the lawn as they go along. But clearly they like their privacy, or don’t like the wind blowing around their bottoms or whatever… If anyone has any tips, they would be welcome! Now I’mm off to pick up the paper shreds…

Sunshine

Sunshine
CARPE DIEM!

(Lets number 63)

When I had a rabbit I used shredded paper in the house part of their hutch but still used sawdust/woodshavings in the open part.  My rabbit loved burrowing into the paper and was always toasty warm when I went to him.  By being in the closed bit it couldn’t blow away.  I still obviously gave him straw to munch on.

We had a rat and guinea pigs too which loved to nestle into shredded paper.

xxxxx

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/home_edsupportgroup

We are apt to forget that children watch examples better than they listen to preaching. -Roy L. Smith

There is always a moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in. -Graham Green

Ours are clearly outdoor lovers, as they kicked the straw bedding out too. They seem to sleep outside as well, instead of in the hutch. I’m hoping that they are sensible deep down, and will go inside when the weather gets cold. Surely they are not that stupid? They seem quite clever in all other aspects!

Maybe I’ll try to divide the hutch in 2 areas, with paper in one and sawdust in the other… see how that works.

We’ve only had them a month or so, and they seem a bit fussier than the rabbits I used to have as a child. But perhaps at that time it was my parents doing the worrying and tidying up! smile

Sunshine

Sunshine
CARPE DIEM!

(Lets number 63)

our hens are in a run with house upstairs and a run down a ramp below,they used to kick all their straw out so we nailed a peice of flat wood about 3in high across bottom of the door hole,so theres a little lip,it seems to have done the trick and contains most of the bedding x

LETS no42

That’s another very sensible idea and so simple- why didn’t I think of that! I’ll see if I can tinker something together! Thank you!

Sunshine

Sunshine
CARPE DIEM!

(Lets number 63)

Share this with friends

Recent Posts