Issue 97 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

I am trying to clear out some of the stuff from the attic and have come unstuck about the bags of baby clothes that are up there.  There are lots and lots of baby clothes that came from my pre-washable nappy days (don’t scream at me!) and they won’t go over the top of a cloth nappy.  Some of these are in good condition, but most have dribble stains that will never come out.  I am keeping the clothes that Min wore(clothes for cloth nappies), for the time being, as it’s too upsetting to let them go just yet, but what do I do with the others, given that I’m almost 99% sure I won’t be having any more babies?  If I put them into the Salvation Army clothes bank, do the stained baby gros just end up in landfill or will they be shredded for industrial purposes?  Should I separate the clean babygros form the stained ones (not easy as my idea of clean might not be someone else’s!), if the clean babygros go in the clothing bank, will they be resold or end up being shredded too?

I am horribly attached to these clothes, they bring back sooo many happy memories that just handling them brings a lump to my throat and the thought of them ending up in landfill is horrible, I’d rather carry them around with me forever!  A lot of them were second hand when I bought them and are just too raggy to be passed on.  I suppose what I want to know is, ‘what happens to clothes that are put into a clothing bank’?  I could sooo do with that Life Laundry lady, I am finding it hard to throw anything away these days!  hmmm

Home educating Mammy to DD aged 13, DS aged 12, DS aged 10, DD aged 7, DD aged 3 and DS aged 2 weeks!!  grin

I know just how you feel - I am VERY unsentimental generally but my babies’ clothes is another matter entirely!  My current plan is to make things like those you mention into a rag rug.  I got Eve a peg loom for Christmas so I thought I’d use that.  Now I just need to be able to cut them into strips!!  gulp  gulp  xx

Oh, that’s a great idea!!  I was looking at the rag rug in Handmade home book and thinking how lovely it was!!  I few years ago (when I thought I was going to stop at three children!), I cut up all my old and tatty baby clothes and made a patchwork quilt.  I love it, but it was difficult sewing it because the fabrics were all different types and I’m hopeless at sewing stretch fabrics.  The rag rug idea is lovely though!!  smile

Home educating Mammy to DD aged 13, DS aged 12, DS aged 10, DD aged 7, DD aged 3 and DS aged 2 weeks!!  grin

The clothes in clothing banks are collected to raise money so the collector will find buyers for them, either as usable clothing or as recyclable scrap. It would cost them to put in landfill (commercial dumping) so I very much doubt that would be its fate.
I usually sort out the charity shop quality (clean, no stains) and give them directly to a charity shop so I know they got there. Then anything else goes to household rags or clothes bank. I took a load to a local charity who help teenage mothers in need too, I explained they were ‘well worn’ but they were still grateful.

Also, pure cotton/wool can go on a compost heap.

Thanks for clarifying that Moggy, I will have a good old rummage and be ruthless.  Better that they be worn and loved again than sit in my attic for eternity!!

Hi Wodgehog

Don’t have a great deal to add except wanted to say that I have found it equally difficult getting rid of the baby stuff- especially the tiny baby stuff. I have compromised (with myself!!) that I am keeping one plastic box- so what I cannot fit in the box has to go- or else I sort out the box to keep things in preference.

Just when I think I have a few things to ‘go’ I suddenly think- maybe I should keep a few in case my sister ever has a baby…... and then off I go again…..

Starring members of the Cast:
Sebastian (2004), Felicity (2006), Tristan (2008)

Home educating, thought provoking parenting, healthy eating trying to be locavores- but following our own way

AND finally admitting to having a blog http://owngrown.blogspot.com

palemintmummy - 12 January 2010 10:05 PM

Hi Wodgehog

Don’t have a great deal to add except wanted to say that I have found it equally difficult getting rid of the baby stuff- especially the tiny baby stuff. I have compromised (with myself!!) that I am keeping one plastic box- so what I cannot fit in the box has to go- or else I sort out the box to keep things in preference.

Just when I think I have a few things to ‘go’ I suddenly think- maybe I should keep a few in case my sister ever has a baby…... and then off I go again…..

I’m so glad it’s not me.  I have brave days when I think, “This is silly, I really MUST get rid of this stuff” and then I have wobbly days when just looking at all those bags of clothes makes me tearful, let alone the thought of getting shot of them.  I like the idea of a box for the absolute favourite items, that’s a good idea.  I thought also, that if I had some tatty, but much loved pieces, I could turn them into the body of a little cloth doll for the children to have.  I think I will have to combine all these ideas to find the best places for much-loved clothing.  I am a natural hoarder, I pretend that I’m being green, but really, it’s a fear of letting go of things.  When I cleaned my desk out one time, I found SEVEN pens that hadn’t worked since I was a child, but I couldn’t bring myself to throw away.  Even when I was little and was made to clean my desk, I had to physically break things before I could throw them away, otherwise I would fish them out of the bin later on!!  I’m not a materialistic person at all and I just love finding new uses for old things, but some things, that have no use at all (like a broken pen or a tatty baby gro) I find hard to just chuck out!!  rolleyes

Share this with friends

Recent Posts