CARROT CAKE PANCAKES
Makes 6 pancakes Total time: 30 mins Active time: 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 cup almond milk (or your favourite non–dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all–purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup peeled and grated carrot
- You can also add pecans or walnuts (1/ 2 cup or so), if that’s your thing.
In a small bowl, using a fork, beat the ground flaxseed together with the milk for about a minute. Add the vinegar, water, maple syrup, oil, and vanilla. Mix well. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice. Make a well in the centre and add the wet ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon just until combined. Fold in the grated carrot. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes or so. Preheat a large nonstick pan or griddle over medium heat. Lightly coat the pan with oil. Add the batter in scant ¹⁄³ cup scoops. Cook for about 4 minutes (or until the tops look mostly cooked), then flip and cook until lightly browned, 4 more minutes. Stack on a plate covered with aluminum foil until ready to eat. Serve with maple syrup.
NOTE: A note about the grated carrot: I do mean grated, not just shredded. Since the cooking time on these is so short, the smaller you can get the carrot pieces, the better.